Thursday, March 8, 2012

MAKING AN HERBAL POULTICE

Plants have been used as medicines from time immemorial so it should be no surprise that some of the most time tested topical remedies are also the most accessible for a home medicine chest. A poultice delivers those plants directly by applying them as a wet compress on top of bruises, cuts, abrasions, absesses, crampy muscles, or sore joints.



Self-heal
Self-heal (Prunella vulgaris) is right there at the untrimmed edges of your garden, flowering from late winter to early fall. Once known as wound wort, the lovely spikes bruise into a healing poultice for stings, strains, burns, or cuts.




Another old external vulnerary (wound healer) is plantain or waybread (Plantago major). The leaves of white-man's-foot, so-called because it appears wherever Europeans settle, can also be infused or tinctured for it's emollient (moistening), astringent, and diuretic effects. 

Common plantain in the spring lawn


Cleavers (Galium aparine) crawling across the edges of fields also makes you pee but is better known for it's alterative effects on blood and lymph. Fine hairs on the thin shoots and leaf whorls cling to passersby, distinguishing cleavers or goosegrass from it's cousin lady's bedstraw. Young shoots can be juiced as a spring circulatory tonic but it is the mature flowering plant that is poulticed or infused as a wash for skin lesions.

Cleavers sprouting along the foundation in early spring







 SELF-HEAL POULTICE



HERBALIST'S NOTE: The recipe below is for a fresh plant poultice. To make a dried plant poultice, layer the ground plant material between two double layers of cheesecloth, place the cheesecloth in a large strainer over a pot of boiling water to moisten the herbs, and place on the skin for 20-30 minutes covered by a warmed towel.




 1) Gather a large handful of the fresh flowering tops and spread them between two double layers of cheescloth folded over to be a little larger than the size of the skin to which the poultice will be applied;


2) Place the cheesecloth on a countertop or cutting board and use a rolling pin or wine bottle to crush the flowers into a moist mash. If the plant material isn't wet enough, add a few drops of hot water;





3) Fold in the sides of the cheesecloth and place the poultice over the injury, covering it with a moist warm towel until cool (20-30 minutes);
4) Reuse this poultice every 2-4 hours as needed for one day before discarding.








DOCTOR'S NOTE: Clean all cuts, abrasions, or bites with warm water and soap before adding a poultice to promote healing. Cuts for which the skin doesn't stay together need to be held closed with a butterfly bandaid or stitches before poulticing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Love  Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis,Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Chrons disease,Infectious mononucleosis.,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete